Amazon.com description: Product Description
: A Companion to Science Fiction
assembles essays by an international range of scholars which discuss the contexts, themes and methods used by science fiction writers.
- This Companion conveys the scale and variety of science fiction.
- Shows how science fiction has been used as a means of debating cultural issues.
- Essays by an international range of scholars discuss the contexts, themes and methods used by science fiction writers.
- Addresses general topics, such as the history and origins of the genre, its engagement with science and gender, and national variations of science fiction around the English-speaking world.
- Maps out connections between science fiction, television, the cinema, virtual reality technology, and other aspects of the culture.
- Includes a section focusing on major figures, such as H.G. Wells, Arthur C. Clarke, and Ursula Le Guin.
- Offers close readings of particular novels, from Mary Shelleyâs Frankenstein to Margaret Atwoodâs The Handmaidâs Tale.