Can Democracy Work?: A Short History of a Radical Idea, from Ancient Athens to Our World | Political Ideologies and the Democratic Ideal | Science, Politics, And Gnosticism | We Should All Be Feminists | Political Ideologies and the Democratic Ideal | The Libertarian Mind | The Conscience of a Liberal
Ideals and Ideologies: A Reader is a comprehensive compilation of classic and original readings representing all of the major 'isms'. It offers students a generous sampling of key thinkers in different ideological traditions and places them in their historical and political contexts. Used on its own or with Political Ideologies and the Democratic Ideal, the title accounts for the different ways people use ideology and conveys the ongoing importance of ideas in politics.
NEW TO THIS EDITION
- Paul Krugman, "The Conscience of a Liberal" (A distinguished Nobel Laureate’s defense of liberalism as a kind of rational conservatism, inasmuch as it seeks to conserve the gains and reforms of the New Deal and the Great Society – Social Security, Medicare, minority voting rights, environmental protection, and more.)
- Robert George, et al., "Manhattan Declaration: A Call of Christian Conscience" (The authors and signers of this 2009 declaration contend that the secularizing of America has gone too far and that Christians must work to reverse this trend.)
- Bernie Sanders, "On Democratic Socialism in the United States" (The fiery former candidate for the 2016 Democratic presidential nomination, who calls himself a "democratic socialist," offers an unapologetic defense of his creed.)
- bell hooks, "Feminism is for Everybody" (A distinguished feminist theorist and author argues that feminism isn’t only for or about women, but benefits everyone.)
- Val Plumwood, "Feminism and the Mastery Nature" (An eminent Australian ecofeminist emphasizes what feminists bring to the debate over human beings’ role and relationship with nature.)
- Vine Deloria, Jr., "On Liberation" (A prominent Native American author and thinker outlines his vision of native people’s liberation.)
- Pope Francis, "Laudato Si’: On Care for our Common Home" (The current Pope’s pleas for Christians and others to address climate change and other environmental issues.)
- Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi, "Declaration of a Caliphate" (The radical Islamist leader or caliph of Islamic State [ISIS] announces the creation of a spiritual and geographic home for all "true" Muslims.)
Pricing is shown for items sent to or within the U.S., excluding shipping and tax. Please consult the store to determine exact fees. No warranties are made express or implied about the accuracy, timeliness, merit, or value of the information provided. Information subject to change without notice. isbn.nu is not a bookseller, just an information source.