If you're waiting for the world's "Holy Men" to tell you the truth about their religions, do you suppose they'll mention that:
- The Tao Te Ching was only created because Lao Tzu was thrown in jail by a disciple who didn't want to let him leave town without writing down his teachings?
- "Passover" celebrates God killing all firstborn Egyptian kids while Jewish homes were "passed over" by the angel of death?
- Shinto, a nature-loving, mellow religion, was transformed by the Japanese government into a nationalistic ideology promoting "holy" war?
- Carpocrates, an early Christian, argued that sex orgies were a key to heaven.
- Prostitution was a religious duty in Mesopotamian temples.
- The two major Chinese religions (Taoism and Confucianism) are completely at odds with each other and yet are often practiced together.
- Despite having persecuted Jews for 2,000 years, Christian fundamentalists are Israel's biggest supporters.
Capturing just the right balance of in-depth knowledge, respect, humor and irreverence, Bolelli takes an ecumenical approach to the task, revealing surprising, shocking, and little-known facts about the "big three" religions but also many more, including Zen Buddhism, Hinduism, Zoroastrianism, and, of course, the increasingly popular non-religion: atheism.
About: If you're waiting for the world's "Holy Men" to tell you the truth about their religions, do you suppose they'll mention that:The Tao Te Ching was only created because Lao Tzu was thrown in jail by a disciple who didn't want to let him leave town without writing down his teachings?
Pricing is shown for items sent to or within the U.S., excluding shipping and tax. Please consult the store to determine exact fees. No warranties are made express or implied about the accuracy, timeliness, merit, or value of the information provided. Information subject to change without notice. isbn.nu is not a bookseller, just an information source.