Punk - Occupy - Rock n Roll - Brit Art - Girlpower - Zumba - how do new trends emerge? Who starts them? Who changed Britain? We did. People did.
This book offers insight into the many strands which combine to create Britain today.
This one-stop guide offers an entirely unique look at an integrated movement, inviting DJs, graffiti artists, musicians, writers, poets, fans, protestors and participants alike to contribute chapters including:
1. ART How the Rebels Got Rich by Mark Sheerin, arts journalist and blogger.
2.COMEDY The Changing Landscape of Comedy by Susan Murray, comedienne and MC for two of east-Londonâs best comedy clubs.
3. DANCE Anarchy from the Margins and Free Expression by Mark Edward, performance artist and writer.
4. DISABILITY ARTS & ACTIVISM Subversion within the Secluded by Penny Pepper, performance artist and activist
5. ENVIRONMENTALISM A Way of Life by Paul Quinn, writer and editor .
6. FEMINISM Feminist Activism and its Achievements so FarÂ by Hayley Forster da Silva, digital broadcaster, F-word contributor, spiritual healer .
7. FILM Beyond the Mainstream by Ellen Cheshire, film writer and lecturer /Subversive Cinema, Cult Film and the rise of Film Fan Communities by Dr Karen Oughton, academic and film writer .
8. LGBT CULTURE Whatâs Wrong with Being a Freak Anyway? by Jack Bright
9. LITERATURE Underground Publishing: Blast and Bless by Ben Graham, author, music critic and poet.
10. MUSIC Mainstream Counter-cultures: The Ultimate Mix by Em Ayson, freelance writer and cultural commentator.
11. NEGATIVE SPACE Subculture in Boom Time London by Tim Burrows, journalist and musician.
12. THEATRE Counter-cultural performances: from the 1960s to Contemporary Physical and Visual Theatre by Dr Tim Garrett, academic and journal editor .
13. YOUTUBE and SOCIAL MEDIA A New Platform by Bella Qvist, journalist and freelance writer .
About: The first comprehensive exploration of counterculture in the UK Â from illegal raves to street art, subversive comedy and agit theatre to LGBT clubs, pop-up galleries, guerilla gigs, flash dance, digital publishing, disability arts and much more.
Pricing is shown for items sent to or within the U.S., excluding shipping and tax. Please consult the store to determine exact fees. No warranties are made express or implied about the accuracy, timeliness, merit, or value of the information provided. Information subject to change without notice. isbn.nu is not a bookseller, just an information source.