Teaching U.S. History Thematically: Document-Based Lessons for the Secondary Classroom | A History Teaching Toolbox: Practical classroom strategies | Your UDL Lesson Planner | Teaching What Really Happened | Reading Like a Historian | Preventing Long-Term ELs | Why Won't You Just Tell Us the Answer?
Although the Common Core and C3 Framework highlight literacy and inquiry as central goals for social studies, they do not offer guidelines, assessments, or curriculum resources. This practical guide presents six research-tested historical investigations along with all corresponding teaching materials and tools that have improved the historical thinking and argumentative writing of academically diverse students. Each investigation integrates reading, analysis, planning, composing, and reflection into a writing process that results in an argumentative history essay. Primary sources have been modified to allow struggling readers access to the material. Web links to original unmodified primary sources are also provided, along with other sources to extend investigations. The authors include sample student essays from each investigation to illustrate the progress of two different learners and explain how to support studentsâ development. Each chapter includes these helpful sections: Historical Background, Literacy Practices Students Will Learn, How to Teach This Investigation, How Might Students Respond?, Student Writing and Teacher Feedback, Lesson Plans and Materials.
- Integrates literacy and inquiry with core U.S. history topics.
- Emphasizes argumentative writing, a key requirement of the Common Core.
- Offers explicit guidance for instruction with classroom-ready materials.
- Provides primary sources for differentiated instruction.
- Explains a curriculum appropriate for students who struggle with reading, as well as more advanced readers.
- Models how to transition over time from more explicit instruction to teacher coaching and greater student independence.
Pricing is shown for items sent to or within the U.S., excluding shipping and tax. Please consult the store to determine exact fees. No warranties are made express or implied about the accuracy, timeliness, merit, or value of the information provided. Information subject to change without notice. isbn.nu is not a bookseller, just an information source.