Special features include:
- Editors' introductions to each chapter, alerting readers to significant changes and anticipated proposals since the last edition
- Editors' notes throughout the text to provide background or highlight changes to particular items
- Canon and code antecedents quoted after each ABA Model Rule to reveal common and enduring themes throughout history
- Complete lists of cross-references in other rules
- Legislative history that assembles excerpts of interesting variations from previous drafts and versions of the Model Rules, in addition to amendments and proposed amendments for each.
- Selected state variations that differ in significant ways from the equivalent ABA Model Rules.
- Related materials drawn from the many other authorities and resources that influence or mandate the conduct of lawyers.
- Updated index reflecting all the amendments through October 2009