Ever Wonder Why? | Why Do We Say It | The Etymologicon | Scholastic Dictionary of Idioms | Dictionary of Word Origins | The Facts on File Encyclopedia of Word and Phrase Origins | 2107 Curious Word Origins, Sayings & Expressions from White Elephants to Song Dance
The first Edition of the Morris Dictionary of Word and Phrase Origins detailed the fascinating and little known stories behind thousands of words and phrases that we use every day. In this new edition, William and Mary Morris update and expand their classic work to keep pace with our ever changing language.
New entries include:
- New trends--crack, glitch, greenmail, Harrier attack airplanes
- Foreign terms--falafel, geisha, jihad, paparazzi
- People--batman, dead end kid, Dutch uncle, hatchet man, Young Turks
- Given names--Chester, Edith, Jennifer and others
- Food--Adam and Eve on a raft, alligator pear, grapefruit, Harriet Lane
- Sports--box score, cheese champions, full court press
- and many more
Throughout the Morris's present the histories of intriguing expressions in an eminently entertaining and readable fashion.
Pricing is shown for items sent to or within the U.S., excluding shipping and tax. Please consult the store to determine exact fees. No warranties are made express or implied about the accuracy, timeliness, merit, or value of the information provided. Information subject to change without notice. isbn.nu is not a bookseller, just an information source.