As in earlier volumes, these essays emphasize the primacy of possibilities intrinsic in each medium. Always representing radical alternatives, he writes with uncommon perception not only about familiar issues but about films customarily forgotten, and always with his customary clarity. Also included are prefaces and transcripts from his own films and videos.
He writes: Ã¢ÂÂAnother implicit assumption behind my activity is acknowledging the importance of books in collecting together initially scattered opinions, for I have long contended that the critic who fails to risk publishing books is just a reviewing journalist, or, worse, an opportunist.Ã¢ÂÂ Celebrating four decades of book-publishing, he remains a prolific force and a unique independent voice.
Individual entries on Richard Kostelanetz appear in Contemporary Poets, Contemporary Novelists, Postmodern Fiction, BakerÃ¢ÂÂs Biographical Dictionary of Musicians, A ReaderÃ¢ÂÂs Digest to Twentieth-Century Writers, The Merriam-Webster Encyclopedia of Literature, WebsterÃ¢ÂÂs Dictionary of American Authors, The HarperCollins ReaderÃ¢ÂÂs Encyclopedia of American Literature, and the Encyclopedia Britannica, among other distinguished directories.
PART I. FILM AND VIDEO CRITICISM
1. The Artistry of Television Football (1969) 001
2. Recent Experimental Film Reconsidered (1970) 007
3. Orson Welles as an Acoustic Filmmaker (1989) 021
4. Literary Videotapes (1989) 030
5. Waiting for Revisionism (1991) 035
6. Nam June Paik Remembrance (1992) 038
7. The Institutionalization of Ignorance (1993) 040
8. Fast-Forwarding Through Ã¢ÂÂClassic Arts ShowcaseÃ¢ÂÂ (2000) 043
9. Responses to a Questionnaire (2000) 046
10. Proposal for a Critical Book on Ã¢ÂÂAnimated MusicÃ¢ÂÂ (2002) 047
PART II. THEORY AND EXPERIMENTATION
11. Literary Video (1976) 051
12. Film (1977) 054
13. Video Writing (1987) 055
14. My Nonsync, Two-Person Films (1989) 060
15. Authenticity in Ã¢ÂÂDocumentaryÃ¢ÂÂ (1991) 067
16. Language-Based Videotapes (1992) 070
17. Remembering My Life in/of Words (2002) 074
PART III. SCRIPTS
18. Epiphanies (1993) 081
19. Home Movies Reconsidered (1989) 087
20. Six Versions of A Berlin Lost (1992) 100
PART IV. NOTES OF A RELUCTANT FILMGOER
21. (1959Ã¢ÂÂ1998) 125
PART V. TRANIMATIONS: POETRY/FILM STORYBOARDS 22. (199) 203
AuthorÃ¢ÂÂs Illustration by Michael Peters 234
About the Author 235
About: Having already published collections of critical essays on fiction, poetry, performance, politics and visual art, Richard Kostelanetz for the first time selects here from his writings on film and video.
Pricing is shown for items sent to or within the U.S., excluding shipping and tax. Please consult the store to determine exact fees. No warranties are made express or implied about the accuracy, timeliness, merit, or value of the information provided. Information subject to change without notice. isbn.nu is not a bookseller, just an information source.