âThis is Effective C++ volume three â itâs really that good.â
â Herb Sutter, independent consultant and secretary of the ISO/ANSI C++ standards committee
âThere are very few books which all C++ programmers must have. Add Effective STL to that list.â
â Thomas Becker, Senior Software Engineer, Zephyr Associates, Inc., and columnist, C/C++ Users Journal
C++âs Standard Template Library is revolutionary, but learning to use it well has always been a challenge. Until now. In this book, best-selling author Scott Meyers ( Effective C++ , and More Effective C++ ) reveals the critical rules of thumb employed by the experts â the things they almost always do or almost always avoid doing â to get the most out of the library.
Other books describe whatâs in the STL. Effective STL shows you how to use it. Each of the bookâs 50 guidelines is backed by Meyersâ legendary analysis and incisive examples, so youâll learn not only what to do, but also when to do it â and why.
Highlights of Effective STL include:
- Advice on choosing among standard STL containers (like vector and list), nonstandard STL containers (like hash_set and hash_map), and non-STL containers (like bitset).
- Techniques to maximize the efficiency of the STL and the programs that use it.
- Insights into the behavior of iterators, function objects, and allocators, including things you should not do.
- Guidance for the proper use of algorithms and member functions whose names are the same (e.g., find), but whose actions differ in subtle (but important) ways.
- Discussions of potential portability problems, including straightforward ways to avoid them.
Like Meyersâ previous books, Effective STL is filled with proven wisdom that comes only from experience. Its clear, concise, penetrating style makes it an essential resource for every STL programmer.
Pricing is shown for items sent to or within the U.S., excluding shipping and tax. Please consult the store to determine exact fees. No warranties are made express or implied about the accuracy, timeliness, merit, or value of the information provided. Information subject to change without notice. isbn.nu is not a bookseller, just an information source.